1 April 2020
Vesta Cover Limited - Version: 2
- What kind of personal information we collect and what we do with that information.
- Where we collect personal information from.
- Whom we may use to collect personal information.
- How we use and disclose personal information.
- The consequences of you not providing the personal information we request from you.
- How we store personal information.
- How you can access and, where applicable, amend your personal information.
- How long we hold personal information.
- Whom you can contact for further information.
WHAT KIND OF PERSONAL INFORMATION WE COLLECT
We collect the personal information you give us, which may include:
- Your name, email address, residential address, contact telephone numbers.
- Information about your past and present health, employment, income, and financial and personal circumstances.
- Where relevant, specific documents verify your identity and other personal details (such as your passport or driver's licence number).
- Information about past or present personal insurance policies you hold/held.
We may also keep a record of any information that you acquire from us.
You can visit the Vesta website (Site) without telling us who you are or revealing other personal information.
WHERE WE COLLECT PERSONAL INFORMATION FROM
We collect personal information through this Site by the following means:
- By you contacting us enquiring about information about us and the services we provide.
- When you register on the Site as a subscriber or as an enquirer.
- When you make an application on the Site for a policy.
- When you participate in any promotions we may make available or competitions that we may run through this Site.
if you are or want to be a client, we may collect personal information about you from medical practices that hold your records. By applying for an insurance policy through the Site, you authorise us to obtain personal information about you from your past or present medical centre.
We may also collect personal information through public sources and third-party service providers, where you have agreed to release such personal information to third parties or us.
We will not otherwise collect any personal information about you except when you knowingly provide it.
WHO WE MAY USE TO COLLECT YOUR PERSONAL INFORMATION
- Our agents
- Third parties you may have had dealings with
- Publicly available information
- Your executors, administrators or persons holding authority to act on your behalf
- Public and subscribed databases
- Any persons considered necessary to carry out your instructions
PURPOSES FOR WHICH WE MAY COLLECT, USE, DISCLOSE AND HOLD YOUR PERSONAL INFORMATION
We may use your personal information for the following purposes:
- Responding to queries.
- Providing you with information about us.
- Providing you with our services, as requested by you.
- Deciding to provide you with our services or provide you with information about the services we provide, including evaluating your insurability.
- Verifying your identity
- Managing the products and services we provide.
- Managing your premium payments and one-off payments with direct debit companies.
- Providing your personal information when requested by our regulator (the Financial Markets Authority).
- Enabling our internal staff to promote their products and services to you.
- Ensuring that we comply with relevant legislation and regulations in providing any services to you or providing you with access to any services that we provide. Any specific purpose which we notify you of at the time personal information is collected.
- Compiling statistical data
Complying with specific New Zealand laws makes it mandatory for us to collect your personal information necessary to comply with our legislative obligations.
We may use, sell, licence, distribute and disclose data which we develop from personal information, provided that such data has been stripped of all personally identifiable information.
DISCLOSING YOUR INFORMATION TO THIRD PARTIES
Where permitted under the Privacy Act, we may disclose information about you (including your identity) to a third party for the following purposes:
- Investigating your past or present health
- Co-applicants – if you have registered as an insured and have asked your spouse to register as a co-owner, each of you agrees and consents to Vesta providing your personal information to the other of you. Vesta will be entitled to accept instructions from either of you (unless requested otherwise) to the access to, use of or amendment to your personal information by Vesta.
- Law enforcement agencies
- Conducting legal proceedings or other investigations.
- Providing our services to you.
- Entities providing services to us such as legal and financial services, market research and data providers and mailing houses and call centre operators in New Zealand and overseas.
- Assignees or potential assignees or where we act as an agent on behalf of another person.
- Direct debit companies who manage your scheduled and one-off repayments
- Insurers, assessors, underwriters, brokers, and other distributors.
- Government and regulatory bodies in New Zealand and overseas.
- Marketing communications
WHAT ARE THE CONSEQUENCES OF YOU NOT PROVIDING THE PERSONAL INFORMATION WE REQUIRE?
If you do not provide us with all of the personal information we have requested from you, we may not be able to provide you with a personalised service. We will be unable to adequately advise you on the suitability of an insurance solution we have recommended.
HOW WE STORE YOUR PERSONAL INFORMATION
We store personal information electronically and in paper-based form. Personal information is kept safe and secure using generally accepted standards of security.
HOW YOU CAN ACCESS/AMEND YOUR PERSONAL INFORMAtION
You may access your personal information we hold by emailing us at firstname.lastname@example.org. We will provide you with a copy of the personal information we keep about you.
You may request that the personal information we hold about you be corrected if it is misleading, inaccurate, incomplete or irrelevant by emailing us at email@example.com. If we agree that your personal information is to be corrected, we will provide you with an amended record of your personal information.
As some of the information we hold about you may be sensitive, we will need to verify the identity of anyone requesting access to your sensitive personal information. Any request for information must be as specific as possible so we can accommodate your request. We will provide access within 21 days of your request.
We can refuse access to your information if:
- Access would be unlawful
- Denying access is required under New Zealand law or an order of a court or tribunal.
- Access would prejudice enforcement action or appropriate action relating to unlawful activity or serious misconduct.
HOW LONG WE HOLD YOUR PERSONAL INFORMATION
We will keep your personal information only for as long as necessary to achieve the purpose we collected it for, and in all cases, for such periods we are required to comply with any relevant legislation and regulations.
WHO YOU CAN CONTACT FOR FURTHER INFORMATION
by calling Vesta's helpdesk on 0800 2 VESTA (0800 283 782) or
by writing to Vesta at the address listed on www.vestacover.co.nz.